The student will strategically leverage communications platforms to inform multiple audiences (funders, volunteers, clients, the general public) about the needs our organization addresses and the success stories of our programs. Student will leverage skillsets in written communication, design, marketing, and project management.
Partner Organization: Serve Your City
We are guided by the principle of “Solidarity, not Charity.” We, the community, keep us safe for our common survival and well-being and share a common responsibility.
For more than a decade, Serve Your City has provided life-changing experiences and opportunities for at-risk DC students, giving Black and Brown children access to rowing, swimming, yoga, tennis, tutoring, and inspiring experiences often not readily available to children from under-resourced families.
SYC is the lead partner in Ward 6 Mutual Aid, a partnership of more than three dozen organizations—many of them hyper-local, Black- or Brown-led groups—that came together to share resources and save lives after the COVID-19 pandemic struck the District in March 2020.
Position Description and Tasks
- Write/create weekly content for organization newsletter/social media, highlighting program success stories and educating the public about community needs and how our organization addresses them
- Create graphic designs for visual content for website, presentation slides, print communications or other branding, selecting and creating images and graphics that communicate the values and aims of the organization
- Create videos to promote organization aims, successes, and needs, or to provide orientation and training to volunteers or other stakeholders
- Gather testimonials, evaluation data, reports, and news articles about issues relevant to the organizational mission for distribution in social media outlets
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Visual communication and design skills
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, able to work independently
- Passion for our organizational mission and aims
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively, multitask and meet deadlines with occasional changes of priorities
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Commitment to both a full academic year appointment (fall and spring semester).
General Student Expectations
This internship opportunity is for students intending to enroll in the Community Engagement section of BADM 4001, Fall 2021. See Course Page for more information.
The Fall 2021 semester runs from August 30-December 11th, allowing 15 weeks for service toward project goals. Allowing for on-boarding time, students serving five hours per week will meet the 70-hours of service expected for the course. Orientation, training, and work toward project goals whether completed on or off-site all contribute toward this requirement. Time spent traveling to/from site or completing course reflection assignments does not.